My student told his social worker, "I am sorry for wasting your time" what kid says that! let alone a special education student. He came back to class and was concerned for me. He worked hard, he laughed with other students. That is amazing. That is strength. I wish I could take this student home. It is not possible, but still.
Thursday, December 16, 2010
Resilient
>> Kids are resilient. I cannot express this enough. It amazes me everyday the issues my students deal with, and yet they make me laugh everyday. I have a student who was taken from his mother on Monday. He has been at a shelter since then, and today was his court hearing to decide what will happen with him for the time being. He will not be going home. I went with him to court. Luckily my VP is so supportive that she covered my class while I spent from 815-1115 in the court house with my student. It was one of the most difficult things I have ever done. I feel emotionally exhausted. Not only watching my student go back and forth between being with me, and trying to comfort his mother, but also watching all the other families deal with the most emotional thing in their lives. I do not know every situation. I do not know ever detail, but I can only imagine how hard it would be to be learning that you are losing your child.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment