Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Foster care

>>I was called today because I was on the list of people who have taken my student Jaime out while he's at the children's shelter. They asked me, since I am on the list if I would be interested in taking him in as a foster child. They explained how it is hopefully a short term situation, but there is a good chance it could be a long term situation.

>>Jaime is an amazing kid. He's funny. polite, he works hard, and he has expressed many times that he does want to live at my house. I know this is not appropriate. I explained to the social worker, that I am his teacher and I feel like it would be a conflict of interest to have him living with me. She said that they have had it happen before, and if I think I would be a good home for him I should think about it.

>>Although it was very hard I had to tell them no. I want him to be in a safe place. I want to know he is well taken care of, but I know that place is not with me. I know that he deserves to be placed in an amazing foster care sitation, and to be very well taken care of. I do not have the life style for a kid. Let alone a 12 year old kid that I have to teach everyday. I can do just as much good by being there for him. By being a stable figure in his life for the next 2 1/2 years. By teaching him to read, and to make good choices, and to always be there when he needs support.

>>This is a hard situation. I know I will go through it again, and I know I will learn more and more each time. JM has been lucky that he is my first student that I have to help through this, because I am able to give him lots of support. I've been allowed to go to court with him, and take him out around 4 times this break. This will not always be the case. I feel lucky to go through this experience though because I am learning. And, it is something that I will have to go through again, and it will always be hard. It will always be difficult to see a student taken away from his parents. It will always be hard to not be able to take that kid and love them like they deserve. But, it's a learning experience and I am doing the best I can.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for writing about this. As a teacher you are such a force in childrens lives. In hs I had a friend who had never been in the same foster home for more then six months, lots of circumstances around that, but one of the only constants in his life was school, and the people there. I am glad you can be one of those constants for the kids in your classes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chels, I LOVE your blog. Keep writing, these are powerful, wonderful stories. Can I link to you on my blog? (I had some privacy issues, and for a little while I will be writing at www.scoopingitup.wordpress.com)

    Now having a kiddo that is, at least for now, special needs has opened my eyes. Johnny is 7 months, but acts and looks more like a two month old. He will probably catch up, but he might not. He might always experience delays. He is a special boy, that's for sure.

    I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course you can link. I am glad you like it. I have been reading your new stuff.. I always read, but might not always comment.
    Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete