>>Today was one of those days where I worry about how mature kids are getting at such a young age. Within one hour. One little hour, so much happened today. To begin with, I had a parent drop in and start explaining to me that her and her husband are getting divorced. She went on to explain how he is an alcoholic, verbally abusive and very controlling to her. She said they were up fighting all night, and I should be aware, because it may affect how her student is acting over the next few weeks. I felt really badly for her, and she seemed... so upset and flustered and stressed. I really could not do much to ease these feelings, but I did my best to listen to let her know I am available for help if she needs anything.
>>Then, I find out Steve (who fell and hit his head yesterday) fainted/passed out in P.E. today and hit the ground hard. They had to go and pick him up in the golf cart, and his mom came and took him to the emergency room. I talked with her after school and he checked out fine, but It was still scary and makes you worried. This student is going on a field trip tomorrow (The snowboarding one) so it makes me nervous, but the doctor said he is fine.
>>Finally, (I have to tell a little background first) I have a Matthew who came to me in January from a continuation school. What this means, is that he was expelled from his last school (which is very very very hard to do with a special education student) They gave him his triennial (which is where you reassess special education students every 3 years to make sure they still qualify for special education services) and he scored very very very low. They had a hard time serving him at this continuation school because of his academic levels, so after he completed some provisions he was able to come back to middle school. (8th grade exactly) We had a hard time getting him motivated to work, and actually be in class. But, after setting deals with him, giving him goals to reach, we had finally gotten to a point where he was being respectful in my class and completing what was asked of him. He was participating in class, playing games with other students, and he even was teaching another student how to tie their shoes. I was really happy. He had been working hard in his history class. Getting work done, and even participating in P.E. Last week, he ditched an entire day of school. People saw him walking to school, but he was absent and when his parents were called to confirm his absence, there did not know where he was. Now, to today, He was fine the first two periods of school in my class. Completed his spelling packet. corrected his mistakes, completed his math pages, then during 3rd period, he was caught with an ounce of marijuana, and a wad of cash. When the vice principal found these items on him he bolted, left the school and he was not found. I am not sure what will happen to this student, but its hard. It's assumed that he was selling the drugs to other students at school (which is why I am guessing they found out that he had that on him). So, we will prob have to go through the process of expelling him/suspending him for sure. Maybe the cops will be involved. Its very very tough to know that this is something that is happening in middle school not to mention something happening in my very own class. I am hoping that he did not attempt to sell drugs to any students in my class, but I cannot assume that I really even know this student. Its sad, and scary.
No comments:
Post a Comment