Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Back

>>Coming back to school was surprisingly pleasant and nice. A few of my students got haircuts. Some got out of the psych ward. It really was a great smooth day. Almost like they were happy to be back. They moved right back into the swing of things. It made me so happy.

>>I have an aide in my classroom, who is sort of a complainer. She constantly complains about everything, from the kids (not in front of them), to the school, to the class, to her life, everything. I am aware that everyone complains. I, in fact, am a constant complainer, but I attempt to keep it to a minimum. One of the reasons my principals said I received "teachers who make a different" award, was because I am always smiling and never complaining. Anyways, she is always complaining. Eventually, it gets tiresome. She acts like she knows everything, and if you try and tell her something differently she argues. She comes up with information, and when you tell her you heard differently she argues. When you have a difference of opinion, she argues. Now, I do really like her as a person, but after a while, its tiresome. Its hard to find joys when someone around you always focus' on the negative. I have begun to look on the bright side of everything, and being around her is not easy. I know I am her boss. I should be telling her what to do. But, its difficult. She also holds grudges and sometimes its easier to let her do what she wants, then to sit there and argue with her and then deal with it later. She definitely has had the most difficulty accepting that I am the boss. I have heard rumors that she may be moving to another class next year. I am constantly planning how amazing it will be without her around. But, then I think, What if I am getting my hopes up? How do I fix this? Its hard to change people who are set in their ways, but is there something I can do to just hint at her getting an attitude change? I'm stuck.

1 comment:

  1. I hate that feeling. I think you set a great example, and if you are stuck with her again next year, I think having a sit down meeting about how you want to communicate in the classroom and setting a tone of positivity. Maybe if you are specific about the issue but non attacking to her she will get a message. Like if you made up a story that said "I have been thinking a lot that I want to change how I speak and I think it will help how we do in the class." Make her believe YOU are the one that is trying to be more positive and you just want to have her help. Maybe you can trick her into the whole thing... :)

    ReplyDelete