>> We have exactly 22 days left of school. In exactly a month we will be saying good bye. This will probably going to be one of those hard ones. This is the first group of kiddos I have had for all 3 years. Watching them grow up and change and learn. I am going to miss them, and I am going to worry about them.
>>Sam is back at school with a big ol' scar running from ear to ear. He is taking life in strides, but has retained his sense of humor and good attitude. I am so glad he is alright and that nothing more serious (well, except brain surgery) had to happen.
>>I went to my first out of state conference this past weekend. A few colleagues and I got to fly out of town to attend the Love and Logic seminar. The difficult part of this was that this is a parenting class and 3 out of the 5 of us that attended do not have children. I guess in the near future we will teaching district parents the steps to Love and Logic. There was a lot that was very interesting. But, again hard to implement in my classroom. One item I did like was telling my students "I love you but I'm not going to argue with you." My students at first were weirded out, but it came down to the fact that of course I love them. They thought this was hard to believe. I tried to explain that there are different types of love. Love that you feel for your family, your friends, etc. And I care and love them all very much. I actually think this made them feel happy and special. Many people may think it is weird to tell their students this but in my room it is a whole different world.
>>I talked with Sam for almost 30 minutes today about his family and his parents fighting a lot. He has told me aboutr this before and things are more difficult now that his sister is home. We talked about this and I let him tell me about how he was feeling and what he thought when his parents discussed divorce. Carl had to add in that "this is school time not personal talking time". I explained to Carl that this class is different. We sometimes need help to talk through difficult situations, and sometimes we just need someone to listen. I exoplained that I never expect him to tell me anything personal about his life, but if he ever needed to just talk I wouldnt hestitate to listen and be there fo rhim. I love this aspect about teaching. I love the good relationships i have with my students. I enjoy being there for them and I wish there was more I could do. I don't look forward to June when 5 of them graduate and then I need to worry and wish I had a way to keep in contact with them. I swear I need like a teacher facebook so they can be my friend and contact me. I wonder if anyone has any ideas on how to make this work.
>>So many funny things happen daily in my room that I wish I could just tape them all. I think a twitter is in order - Will update soon and let people know what I find out.
No comments:
Post a Comment