>>A few weeks ago I went to check my work email because well.. I have issues and obsessions and I CANT not check it for more than a few days (even though I'm sure people will say I am crazy) I received an email from our director special education stating that some how a 5th grade Resource teacher, put 9 new incoming 6th graders into SDC (my class).
Before I go into the scariness of this, I will put some background into the continuum of special education.
>>So, in terms of placement for students and children the least restrictive environment is general education. This means having all the students classes with the general education students and classes.
Then, comes resource or RSP - This is for students that usually have specific learning disabilities. Students that are capable of attending regular education classes without aide support, but their reading and math skills are below grade level. They usually just attend special education for 1-2 periods a day (Language Arts and Math)
Then comes my class - SDC (special day class) My students have a greater need of support. Have lower reading skills. Need support in all general education classes (but are capable of being in there). Usually have more than 2 periods a day in special education.
Then another type of SDC is functional skills. These students learn skills to function in the world. Laundry. Shopping. managing money. making lists. using public transportation. etc.
>>many of my students could possibly handle a bit of resource classes and a bit of functional skills. We are the middle jumble.
Anywho, after reading this email I proceeded to freak out. Starting next year with 20 students? With 11 6th graders is almost impossible. It is mostly impossible because my 6th graders attend general education PE, electives, and science. 11 SDC student cannot attend the same periods of general education classes. Usually 2-3 SDC students in one period is enough. It is overwhelming for the aide in there AND very overwhelming for the general education teacher who has to modify curriculum for them. So, what do I do? I will have to split them into groups of 4 and put them ALL in different classes. THEN, this means I have 20 students in my class during 7th period when I have all my students in my class. I am beyond upset at the 5th grade RSP teacher that did this without contacting me. Another 5th grade RSP teacher emailed me during the last month of school and I attended her students IEPs. I put in my insight as to their classes next year, and i was even able to say "no, this student should be with resource". Why wouldn't t his teacher do this as well?
>>My director of spec ed. is upset because this should not have happened under her nose. But, who knows what will happen. We are going to meet and discuss the students next week (yes during summer) to see what we are going to do. I am trying my darnestt not to flip out but I do not know if I can handle 3+ aides again and 20 students. Ack! Keep calm and carry on.. isn't that what they say?
All I can say is good luck!
ReplyDelete