Tuesday, March 22, 2011

yay!

>>It is nuts how we are already nearing the end of the school year. We have only have 3 months left. Prob. less considering we get out June 9th. Although it will be an eventful summer, I am def. dreading the end of the school year. This is my first "real" class. The first class where I have been there for every step of the way. The first class where I made the rules. I definitely have learned so so much this year. I feel like it has def been a trial and error year. We have tried things, perfected them and for the most part they have work successfully. My behavior mangement system, which I invented before the year even started, has worked better than anticipated. The kids are still stoked to get tickets, and they always always want to know who won the drawing everyday. Starting in April I am adding to the prize. Our tickets will be saved each day, and if the kiddos can get 1000 tickets in a month they will some type of party (ice cream, pizza, rootbeer floats, etc.) I am really excited for them to have to work together as a class to earn tickets. and really encourage each other to do their best. I also have gotten used to having to work with my collegues, and not just shy away from them. And also, I am getting used to having to tell my instructional assistants what to do. This was one of the hardest parts of my jobs. I have 3 IA's. and each one has children that are older then me. It was definitely hard for them to accept me coming in and running the class. I run it well. And I know they are happy (for the most part) but, sometimes there are still struggles. They are the ones who are in the general edcation classes with my students so for the most part I have to trust that they are having my students work hard and be respectful. Its been a fantastic learning experience and I know it will go even better next year.

>>In other news: The school sent out some emails that contained 6th grade benchmarks. These are tests that students take to ensure they are meeting the standards. In any case. I reviewed the benchmark that was sent to me in my email (my students usually dont have to take these) but, a lot of the problems my students could do!! This made me ecstatic and I want to print it out and have my students complete it. The only issue is that they are most work problems whichs gets difficult with my low readers, but they still could complete the fraction problems and this is what I like to see. These types of things prove to me that I am a good teacher and that I am pushing my students to their full potential. So yay

2 comments:

  1. what a happy post! You are a great teacher and all the kids are lucky to have you. Those communication things with the colleagues and work are always tricky, especially being younger. I hope you feel proud and confident finishing out the year! Go Chels.

    ReplyDelete