Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Parents

>>I walked into my principles, Rs, office after school today to tell my vice principle S something about a student of mine he is has in his science class. In the R's office, S and my OTHER vice principle P were all in there. The first thing I hear is is P say, "R! Listen up right now, I am nominating this girl for teacher of the year. You heard it right here". S replied with "Yes! I agree, The stuff she puts up with is crazy and she doesnt even have kids" and R replied with " I agree! I cant believe how lucky we were in hiring her." It makes me feel appreciated. Something small like that really makes me happy.

>>Although there are a TON of things that are hard to deal with in my job, the hardest one is parents. My students parents are such a wide range. (just like students). Some are in denial. Some expect WAYYY too much for their child. Some expect me to "fix" their child. Some just do nothing. and Some are down my throat every second. My student Christina's parents are interesting. I never know what they want and today was one of those days where I got nutty emails all day. Luckily my director of special education can occasionally be a god send and save my butt and deal with the most difficult parents. Christina has the worst hygiene in the world. Like bad enough to almost call child protective services. We are trying to solve the problems and the parents were pretty much MIA when I tried to talk with them about it. So, the "team" including people from other schools, my director of special education, people from the county all met and talked about possible solutions. We let the parents know what was decided that wanted their opinion. Of course they came back defensive and angry. Finally they relaxed and expressed how they want to meet and figure this out, and offered to send me changes of clothes tomorrow. Its such a sticky situation and I wish I could give more details. I'm just glad things are getting figured out.

No comments:

Post a Comment