Thursday, January 20, 2011

sick

I've been sick for the past week. I give my students credit because they really have been giving me a break this past week. I think they understand that they need to be patceint and work hard especially when I dont feel well. But, I did get called crabby once or twice :)

>>I never ever thought I would be a middle school teacher. All the time I've wanted to be a teacher it was always elementary. I feel the most confident teaching elementary school (especially with the curriculum they need to learn) and I also just felt the most comfortable with elementary school students. Last year when I was asked to long term sub/do my student teacher in a middle school SDC class I was very very hesitant. I was beyond uncomfortable with the idea of middle school, but I sucked it up and did it and I don't think I will ever go back to elementary. Maybe some day, but there are so many things that are fantastic about working with 12-14 year olds. First off, less dirty diapers. Although in elementary school there shouldnt be many dirty diapers, in special education there are a lot. I have 3 students that wear diapers and they are all very capable of changing themselves which is an amazing fact. Another thing is they really are more independent. I can send them to the bathroom by themselves. They can blow their noses themselves. they can tie their shoes, and even go to some classes without help if i was in a lower grade I'm sure that would not be possible. But, finally one of the best parts of middle school is that you can talk with them. You can reason with them and explain to them why things are a certain way and they understand you. You can say, "come on guys, lets get some work done and then we can have fun" and that makes sense to them. When they are frustrated they can come and tell you exactly what is going on. And they are funny. They have such good senses of humor that its just so funny. Middle school is awesome. Who thought I would say that.

Funny quote of the day:
(I was reading with Steve)
Me: Wow Steve. that was amazing! I am so proud of you! You know (whispers) don't tell anyone this, but I really think you are probabley the best reader in our whole class.
Carl:(at the group nearby) Uhm.. what.. except I heard that?!

No comments:

Post a Comment